Microsoft Outlook is used world-widely by most of the business users to send/receive emails. If you are unable to send emails because Outlook keeps crashing itself when opening. Mostly MS Outlook crashes due to incomplete or corrupted Outlook installation files. Sometimes users also face this issue when using Outlook with Office 365. We will discuss complete reasons and solutions for Outlook 2016 & 2019 crashing problem.
Why my Outlook Keeps Crashing Itself?
There are many reasons due to which Outlook keeps crashing on startup or restarting itself. Sometimes Outlook stopped working when we click on it and does not open. The reasons are:
- Problem with Windows registry files.
- Incomplete Outlook installation.
- Damaged Outlook data files.
- Outlook Add-in creating the problem.
- Security software blocking the Outlook.
- Outlook is outdated.
How to Fix Outlook that keeps crashing?
There are multiple solutions to fix Microsoft Outlook keeps crashing on Windows 10. Go ahead and apply the given methods until your outlook problem gets fixed.
Method 1: Restart your Computer System
Restarting computer system may resolve many problems with all applications. So restart your computer system to fix crashing problem with Outlook 2016. After rebooting the system, open Outlook and keeps working on it at least 15 minutes to check it still crashing or not. You can also start Outlook in safe mode to fix the problem.
Method 2: Repair Microsoft Outlook Account
If there is incorrect Outlook account settings then your Outlook may crash. Check the Outlook setting to keep running your Outlook without crashing problem. Steps for Outlook settings are as:
- Start Outlook and click on File.
- Click Account Settings and again click Outlook Settings from drop down menu.
- Choose your account and click Repair.
- Follow on-screen instructions after clicking on Next.
- Again start Outlook to check the Outlook crashing problem.
If you still facing the problem then follow the next solution.
Method 3: Repair Your Outlook Data Files
Damaged or corrupted Outlook data files most of the time creates problem with the Outlook. If your Outlook data files are corrupted then rebuilding it will help you in fixing the Outlook keeps crashing problem.
- Open Outlook and click on File.
- Go to account settings and choose Account settings again from the drop-down menu.
- Select Data Files tab and choose your account and then click on Data File Location.
- If there is .ost file in the window then rename it by right clicking on it.
- Change the file name extension to .old.
Method 4: Disable Unnecessary Outlook Add-ins
Many users install multiple Outlook Add-ins to increase the functionality. Sometimes these Outlook add-ins creates the problem and force Outlook to crash. So deactivate the unnecessary Outlook add-ins to using given steps to fix Outlook crashing problem.
- Start Outlook and go to File.
- Now click on Options at left bottom corner and then Add-ins.
- Next, make sure that Manage option is set to COM Add-ins and click Go.
- Uncheck unnecessary Outlook Add-ins to disable and click OK.
Note: Do not uncheck all the Add-ins because some are important for Outlook working. Uncheck only unfamiliar Add-ins.
- Now close Outlook related windows and restart Outlook.
Method 5: Temporarily Deactivate the Security Software
Antivirus, Windows firewall and other security software sometimes blocks some applications due to security reasons. Sometimes these security software blocks the Outlook and result in Outlook keeps crashing problem. To fix Outlook won’t open or crashing problem temporarily disables the security software. After disabling or uninstalling the security software open the Outlook. If Outlook will work fine then continue to work with Outlook.
Method 6: Update Microsoft Outlook
If you didn’t update your Outlook for a long time then update it to get rid of Outlook application crashing problem. To update Outlook follow the given steps:
- Open Outlook and click File.
- Select Office Account from left menu and then click Update Options.
- Click Update Now.
- Let the Outlook to find the latest version and follow the on-screen instructions to update Outlook.
When the update complete, restart your system and open Outlook to check Outlook keeps crashing problem.
Also Read If – Outlook search not working
We hope that the above solution helped you in resolving Outlook problem. If your Outlook keeps crashing even after reinstall or after applying the other solution then explain your problem in the comment section for specified solution.