HP’s all-in-one DeskJet printers are very famous among the users all over the world. These printers are capable print documents, send faxes, make copies and scan documents. When HP Printer won’t scan it shows an error message “No Scanner” or “Scanner Cannot Be Initialized”. The scanning problem may appear when you upgrade to Windows 10 from Win 7 or 8.1. The scanner error may also cause due to printer driver software errors. Fixing Errors stating clear steps to fix this scanning problem easily.
Possible Solution to Fix HP DeskJet Printer won’t Scan Problem
Solution 1: Check Compatibility of Printer with OS
When you upgraded to Windows 10 from the previous versions of OS then check the compatibility of printer with the OS to avoid HP DeskJet Printer won’t Scan error. To check the compatibility, go to HP Printers – Windows 10 Compatible Printers page. Find your printer’s model in the list to check the compatibility. If your printer is not in the list use different printer or platform.
Solution 2: Reset Your Printer Device
Turning the printer off and on sometimes may resolve scanning issue with the printer. Power cycling reinitializes the scanner’s configuration parameters. Turn off HP printer completely and remove the power cable and wait atleast 10 min. Turn on your printer now and start scanning.
Solution 3: Reinstall the Printer Driver Software
Reinstalling printer software is another way to resolve HP scanner won’t scan problem. When you upgrade to Windows 10, you should get the latest and compatible printer drivers.
- Go to “Control Panel” and click on “Programs and features’.
- Select the HP printer driver software and right click on it.
- Choose the “Uninstall” option and Click on “Yes” to confirm your selection.
- Restart the computer after uninstalling the printer software.
- Next, you need to remove printer from Printers & Scanners list in Settings.
- To remove HP printer, press Windows key + Q keyboard shortcut.
- Search ‘printers’ in the search box and click Printers & scanners to open the list of printers.
- Select the printer you want to remove, and click its Remove device button.
- After removing the printer, open the HP support page in a browser.
- Select the printer icon and enter your HP printer model number and click on submit button.
- Next, select a 64 or 32-bit Windows 10 version from the change option.
- Click Download to download the HP printer driver and software package.
- Once the download completed, run the driver and software package to install it.
Solution 4: Run HP Print and Scan Doctor Troubleshooter
HP print and scan doctor is one of the most reliable troubleshooting program of HP. You can use it to resolve printing and scanning problem of printer. Check and fix HP printer won’t scan problem with the help of this software using given steps.
- Your printer should be on and connected with desktop or laptop.
- Download HP print and scan doctor from HP Customer Support page.
- Click HPPSdr.exe to run the software’s window.
- Click Start and choose the printer that doesn’t scan.
- In next window, select the Fix Scanning option.
- Troubleshooter will tell users if it detected and fixed any errors after some time.
- If you get any X red icons then you need to follow further guidelines provided by the troubleshooter.
Solution 6: Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
This method helps those users to fix HP printer scanning problem who are using a network printer. Sometimes Windows defender firewall blocks network printer ports and communications. So turning off WDF may resolve the HP printer won’t scan problem.
- Go to control panel and click on “System and Security”.
- Now click on Windows firewall in the given list.
- In the left of the Control Panel applet, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Now you can choose the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
Note: – HP print and scan doctor also have the option to disable network firewall. You can disable it from there. If you have any third-party antivirus software installed in your Windows 10 Pc then disable the firewall from there also.
Conclusive Words for HP Printer Scanning Errors
The above steps will definitely resolve your HP printer won’t scan problem. If the problem still exists then retry the steps. For any hardware problem with the printer, contact Manufacturer’s website.