A printhead is an important printer’s part that helps in supplying the ink onto the page. It transfers the small droplets of ink through number of printer nozzles to print paper. You have to clean the printhead when one of these nozzles gets clogged.
Types of Printheads
Cartridge Built-in Printheads: The printer cartridge that have built-in known as integrated printer cartridges. In this type, printhead is built into the side of the cartridge.
Printer Built-in Printheads: It uses individual ink cartridges to create a print. It this type of printhead cartridges is included in the printer and the cartridges install into that printhead to create a print.
Why printhead get clogged?
Printer’s cartridge plays a very important role in printing the paper. Regular printing keeps the functionality of your printer cartridge good condition. Your printer’s printhead get clogged when you do not print anything for a long time. Due to infrequent use of printer the ink or dust dry up and collect in the nozzle. Once your printhead get clogged, you will start getting faded, streaked, or even blank pages.
Methods to Clean Printhead Easily
Method 1: Self-Cleaning of Printhead on Windows
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Devices and Printers from given list.
- Right click on the printer that has printhead problem and select Properties.
- In upcoming window click on Hardware or Maintenance If you don’t found the cleaning option there then go to More Options or Tools tab.
- Now click on Clean Heads or Clean Cartridge option the clean the head.
- Follow on-screen instructions if any to complete the cleaning.
Method 2: Printhead Self-Cleaning on Mac
- Click the Apple logo to open Apple menu.
- Click on System Preferences from the drop down list.
- Now select the Printers and Scanners
- Select printer from the list at left side to run the self-cleaning.
- Find and click on Options & Supplies
- Go to Utilities tab at the top of page.
- Now click on Open Printer Utility
- Select Printhead Cleaning option to run the cleaning.
Method 3: Manual Printhead Cleaning
- Collect the following items before starting the cleaning process.
- Isopropyl alcohol
- A bowl or pie tin
- Paper towels
- Turn of the printer and unplug it from the power socket.
- Remove all the cartridge out of the printer.
- Separate the printhead unit from the cartridge.
Note: If your cartridge has in-built printhead then use it as it is.
- Mixture the isopropyl alcohol and water in the same quantity in a bowl.
- Now place the printhead into the mixture.
Note: Place the cartridge in the mixture if your cartridge has in-built printhead.
- Leave the printhead in the mixture for at least two minute to loosen the dried ink.
- Take out the printhead and dab it onto the paper towel and leave it until the moisture and ink remove from the printhead surface.
- Place the printhead back in the printer and print a test page.
Method 4: Use HP Solution Center for HP printers
- Start HP Solution Center on your desktop.
- Now click on Settings
- Go to Printer Toolbox.
- Select Device Services tab and click Clean Printheads.
- Click on Clean to begin the printhead cleaning process.
You might also like: How to Fix HP Printer Cartridge is not Printing in Color?
The given methods definitely helped you in resolving the clogged printhead problem. To avoid this situation, you should use your printer at least once in a week for maintenance and cleaning purpose.