A printhead is an important printer’s part that helps in supplying the ink onto the page. It transfers the small droplets of ink through a number of printer nozzles to print paper. You have to clean the printhead when one of these nozzles gets clogged.
Types of Printheads
Cartridge Built-in Printheads: The printer cartridge that has built-in known as integrated printer cartridges. In this type, the printhead is built into the side of the cartridge.
Printer Built-in Printheads: It uses individual ink cartridges to create a print. If this type of printhead cartridge is included in the printer and the cartridges install into that printhead to create a print.
Why does printhead gets clogged?
Printer’s cartridge plays a very important role in printing the paper. Regular printing keeps the functionality of your printer cartridge in good condition. Your printer’s printhead gets clogged when you do not print anything for a long time. Due to infrequent use of printer the ink or dust-dry up and collect in the nozzle. Once your printhead gets clogged, you will start getting faded, streaked, or even blank pages.
Ways to Clean Printhead Easily
Method 1: Self-Cleaning of Printhead on Windows
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Devices and Printers from the given list.
- Right-click on the printer that has a printhead problem and select Properties.
- In the upcoming window click on Hardware or Maintenance If you don’t found the cleaning option there then go to the More Options or Tools tab.
- Now click on the Clean Heads or Clean Cartridge option the clean the head.
- Follow on-screen instructions if any to complete the cleaning.
Method 2: Printhead Self-Cleaning on Mac
- Click the Apple logo to open the Apple menu.
- Click on System Preferences from the drop-down list.
- Now select the Printers and Scanners
- Select printer from the list on the left side to run the self-cleaning.
- Find and click on Options & Supplies
- Go to Utilities tab at the top of the page.
- Now click on Open Printer Utility
- Select the Printhead Cleaning option to run the cleaning.
Method 3: Manual Printhead Cleaning
- Collect the following items before starting the cleaning process.
- Isopropyl alcohol
- A bowl or pie tin
- Paper towels
- Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power socket.
- Remove all the cartridges out of the printer.
- Separate the printhead unit from the cartridge.
Note: If your cartridge has an in-built printhead then use it as it is.
- Mixture the isopropyl alcohol and water in the same quantity in a bowl.
- Now place the printhead into the mixture.
Note: Place the cartridge in the mixture if your cartridge has an in-built printhead.
- Leave the printhead in the mixture for at least two minutes to loosen the dried ink.
- Take out the printhead and dab it onto the paper towel and leave it until the moisture and ink remove from the printhead surface.
- Place the printhead back in the printer and print a test page.
Method 4: Use HP Solution Center for HP printers
- Start HP Solution Center on your desktop.
- Now click on Settings
- Go to Printer Toolbox.
- Select the Device Services tab and click Clean Printheads.
- Click on Clean to begin the printhead cleaning process.
You might also like: How to Fix HP Printer Cartridge is not Printing in Color?
The given methods definitely helped you in resolving the clogged printhead problem. To avoid this situation, you should use your printer at least once a week for maintenance and cleaning purpose.